2011 Happiness Challenge: For those of you following the 2011 Happiness Project Challenge, to make 2011 a happier year — and even if you haven’t officially signed up for the challenge — welcome! This month’s theme is Creativity, and last week’s resolution was to Take time for projects. Did you try that resolution? Did it boost your happiness?
This week’s resolution is to Make something by hand.
The opposite of a profound truth is also true, and while it’s enormously satisfying to make something by hand, software engineer guru Frederick Brooks points out that it’s also satisfying to work in a medium — like computer programming or poetry — that is “only slightly removed from pure thought-stuff.” Both are satisfying!
As I confessed in the video, I’m searching for something to make by hand, myself. I feel the lack of this element in my life, but haven’t figured out what activity might satisfy it. Any suggestions for something satisfying to make by hand? — and it has to be something simple. Knitting, say, is way beyond my capacity. Maybe I should return to pomander balls.
If you want to read more about this resolution, check out…
Feeling happier: 9 tips for making yourself feel better in a crisis.
In which I create a “preference card” for myself.
Try these fun, quick exercises to boost your creativity.
“People who knit are usually in a good mood. People who stare into their iPhones AND demand your attention aren’t as much fun.” (Interview with Mark Frauenfelder.)
If you’re new, here’s information on the 2011 Happiness Challenge. It’s never too late to start! You’re not behind, jump in right now, sign up here. For the Challenge, each week I’ll post a video suggesting a resolution for you to consider. For more ideas for resolutions to try, check out the archives of videos here.
* I love to explore Boing Boing. So much terrific material there; it never disappoints.
* Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel. To get the weekly video by email, right in your email in-box, you can: To get the audio podcast of the video:
– On the GretchenRubin channel page, after you subscribe, click “Edit Subscription” and check the box, “Email me for new uploads.” Or…
– Go to your main drop-down box, click “Subscriptions,” find the GretchenRubin channel, click “Edit Subscriptions,” and check “Email me for new uploads” there.
– Log in to iTunes
– Go to “Podcasts”
– Search for “The Happiness Project.” Free, of course.
* Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel. To get the weekly video by email, right in your email in-box, you can:
To get the audio podcast of the video: